Re: 1275cc engine questions

To: <Metallian6@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 1275cc engine questions
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 18:33:50 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
From <Metallian6 at aol.com>
To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: 17 February 2000 16:23
Subject: 1275cc engine questions

> Hi list. Is the 1275 a very dependable engine? How dose it compare with
the
> 1098 on reliability? > Jamie
> 1962 AH Sprite MK II (under restoration)

The 1275 and the later 1098 (with block numbers starting with 10CC) used
larger main bearings than the earlier 1098s (10CG) and 948s.  For
reliability I would start with a 1275 at a low power output rather than
stretching some power out of a 1098.  Later 1275s with the oil filter above
the dizzy are reputedly stiffer and less prone to vibration.  Get everything
statically and dynamically balanced and you are less likely to have it throw
out a bearing.  For gearboxes(Tranny) you should be certain that your
rib-case is a Spridget one and not a Morris 1098.  There is a noticeable
extra space between 2nd and 3rd when you are accelerating up through the
gears due to the selection of a closer ratio gear set in the Spridget.
Spend the money now on cleaning the block oilways, getting it balanced and
seal every damn gasket as well as is humanly possible ( It will still leak!)

Good luck