Re: 1275cc engine questions

To: eriks@netspace.net.au
Subject: Re: 1275cc engine questions
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 08:58:26 EST
Cc: pasgeirsson@juno.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Erik,

I wish I knew a way to identify the difference between the Morris Ribcase
and the Spridget ribcase.  Perhaps there is a way, but I don't know it.
Cases do have numbers, but they are all suspect because so many gearboxes
have been rebuilt and parts swapped around.  Loads of the "Silver Seal"
and "Gold Seal" rebuilt gearboxes sold as Spridget boxes were in fact
made with the Morris gears inside and the resulting change of ratios.
Morris had a smooth case box for a few years that was coupled to the 1098
engine and it had the internal gear set of the Morris ribcase.  This was
a baulk ring set up not to be confused with the later Bugeye smooth case
with needle bearings that had brass synchro cones.

There are at least 7 different sets of gears in the two types of
gearboxes that I'm aware of.  Could be more lurking around, too!  Sort of
a rebuilders nightmare!!

Paul
PAsgeirsson@juno.com