Re: 5 Speed Prices

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 Speed Prices
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 18:23:02 -0800
I hate to be the only one with problems in the 5 speed conversion.

I installed the 5 Rivergate kit on a 948 and could not get the clearance
required between the pressure plate and the TO bearing. Rivergate had to
make me a "special" TO bearing carrier in order for it to work. The
combination worked great until I upgraded to a 1275.

I installed it on the new 1275. Same MC (3/4 Dual) and slave as with the
948. Different pressure plate and disk of course. Did not work well. Engine
would bog down and almost die when the clutch was depressed. Rivergate told
me to use the larger slave from the 1275. This is done by rounding out the
mounting holes so that it will mate with the datsun tranny. The 1275 slave
did not bog down the engine as much but it did slow it down when the clutch
was depressed.

Headed out on a club outing Sunday and got about 10 miles. Engine at idle,
clutch depressed. Big bang and clunk from the tranny area. Car jumped
forward as clutch engaged. Clutch would not disengage. Hauled it home and
parked it.

So the conversion is not without it's possible problems.

Larry Miller