Re: 5 Speed Prices

To: Kroyell@aol.com, jboatri@emory.edu
Subject: Re: 5 Speed Prices
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 09:51:57 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, pasgeirsson@juno.com, Rivergate@compuserve.com
Jeff,

Good overview, but here are a couple small items worth mentioning:

Paul's kit does modify the BMC flywheel to accept the stock Nissan pressure
plate. This way you can use the stock clutch plate and TO bearing, and no
modification to the clutch fork, or TO carrier is necessary. The advantage, of
this is, if you need to replace the clutch plate and TO bearing, you can just
get 'stock' nissan parts from your local parts place, or Nissan dealer.

Bill's kit requires that you send in the clutch fork, and TO carrier to be
modified, and you must also cut the 'tube' that the TO carrier slides on in the
tranny itself. In addition the kit includes a 'modified' nissan clutch plate to
work with this setup. Because of the mods, whenever you need to to a clutch
job,
 you can't just buy and use a 'stock' nissan clutch plate/TO bearing, from your
local parts place and install them.

In either case, when you buy the kit, you still need to ship parts back to both
for modification.

I'm not sure, but I believe, that even after Paul modifies your flywheel, you
can still use it with the stock setup... Paul??

Also, included in paul's kit is an 'angle-drive' adaptor for you speedo, and in
the Rivergate kit this costs extra, so, the difference in price can be as much
as $200.

I purchased the Rivergate kit myself, but that was before I learned about the
Morris Service kit. In retrospec, I may have gone with the Morris kit instead.
I especially like the fact that the starter was move on the Morris kit to take
advantage of the 'bulge' in the 210 tranny housing, and wondered why the
Rivergate kit didn't do this. (I wondered about this, even before I knew about
Paul's kit)

I have talked to both Paul and Bill on the phone, and they were both extremely
knowlegible, and helpful. So from my perspective, you really can't go wrong
with
either kit.

- Bryan (59-bugeye)
San Jose, CA

PS - I plan to do my 5-speed conversion sometime in the next 3-5 weeks, and I
think I figured out  a very simple/elegant way to install the stock spridget
clutch slave cylinder, so that it remains upright for 'bleeding'. I'll let
eveyone know if this works out.