My first time... (longish)

To: "Spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: My first time... (longish)
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 21:07:59 -0700charset="Windows-1252"
    Last week I decided that I would take my sprite to a mechanic (gasp!) to
have him fit these rebuilt carbs I got off of EBAY (mistake #1) This was the
very first time I have taken one of my own cars to a mechanic but since I
have a good paying job now I figured I should try one out like everybody
else does. I decided to go with this local British shop since they helped me
out
a few months ago and hooked me up with two witworth screws (idle adjust) for
free.
    I drive up, between maybe a few dozen Xj6s all tightly parked on the
left and right. I show him the rebuilt carbs and explain what I need.
Basically I wanted him to tune them up and adjust them. (SU magic I call
it). I wanted to let a pro tune them so I could watch and learn. I left the
car there around noon and walked to class. Got back around one and he said
he had centered the needles (the dashpots didn't click) and just finished
installing them in the car.
He insisted that the choke was necessary, and installed the dual choke
linkage.
(the old one was just set up to one carb). According to him you have to
choke the carbs every time you start the car, If the choke isn't needed it
means the carbs are running rich all the time. Is there any truth to this? I
thought the choke was only usually needed for cold morning start ups when
the fuel won't atomize well.

Anyway he starts tuning em and using his stethoscope and vacuum tool (to
balance the carbs I think) and he gets the idle spot on at 1100 rpm. he then
adjusts the mix and does his thing. I learned allot and I think I could do
it again....

I then pay an exorbant amount of money ($155) and take off with my Sprite.
Well at least try to take off. Complete loss of top end power. So much loss
of power that it wont even redline in 2nd or 3rd... wasn't even able to pass
4th. I went limping home broke and depressed. Obviously something is up.
Either the mechanic wasn't up to stuff, or the carbs aren't up to specs. But
it purrs at idle and low throttle. Really runs smooth. Also starts much
easier.

Here are my theories.

1) The accelerator pedal feels different. He said he had to adjust it to get
some slack in the cable to bring the idle down. Could the pedal be touching
the floor before it opens the butterflies %100 percent?

2) The needles in the carbs... I just e-mailed the rebuilder of the carbs to
see
what needles were in there. Maybe some kind of strange really lean top end
needle or something wacky.

Any other theories? ideas? etc??

Thanks

Toby