Re: Media blasting

To: "Dan O'Shea" <danoshea@idsi.net>
Subject: Re: Media blasting
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 22:30:28 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Dan O'Shea wrote:

> List,
>
> I am not very familiar with media blasting.  I imagine that many
> spridgeteers have had this sort of work done.  Should I expect that most
> auto body shops will have this service available?  I expect to treat a
> bodyshell--any idea of a reasonable price range?  Any tips would be
> appreciated.

I had the A40 media blasted. Not all body shops do this. Check around.
The car came out perfectly clean and shiny bare metal. They did some
aluminum oxide blasting on any rust in the hard to reach crevices.
The cost was $350 (about 3 years ago) Back them Midgets were $300 as a
friend of mine had his midget done just before me.
Prices differ from place to place but I would say $500 is too much.
I also got to see the car in bare metal when the shop owner talked me
into urethane primer for an extra $375. So far no rust anywhere except
around the outer lip of the boot lid. And I saw this in unrusted bare
metal. It is where the metal folds over to form the seam. My guess is
the rust was on the inside and worked it's way to the surface after
paint of course.
It hasn't gotten any worse in 2 years but it's there. That fancy primer
really works.

Problems... My buddy's Midget always had plastic media chips coming out
of places after it was carpeted. Once a week he would vacuum up plastic
chips.
I have not ever seen any on the A40. The Midget may have nooks and
crannies that store the stuff, or a lousy clean up guy when it was done.
Other then that, no complaints from me or him.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ