Re: Media blasting

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, "Dan O'Shea" <danoshea@idsi.net>
Subject: Re: Media blasting
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 19:40:53 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Frank,

I sandblasted my '68 myself and even though I used compressed air to
dislodge as much as I could, vacuumed the car several times, including
every space I could get into with small hose, I needed to turn the car
upside-down to get the last bits out. It finally stpped shedding after
that. Seems that plastic media wouldn't be as annoying as sand though.

Gerard

At 10:30 PM -0700 4/16/00, Frank Clarici wrote:
>Dan O'Shea wrote:
>>
>> List,
>>
>> I am not very familiar with media blasting.  I imagine that many
>> spridgeteers have had this sort of work done.  Should I expect that most
>> auto body shops will have this service available?  I expect to treat a
>> bodyshell--any idea of a reasonable price range?  Any tips would be
>> appreciated.
>
>I had the A40 media blasted. Not all body shops do this. Check around.
>The car came out perfectly clean and shiny bare metal. They did some
>aluminum oxide blasting on any rust in the hard to reach crevices.
>The cost was $350 (about 3 years ago) Back them Midgets were $300 as a
>friend of mine had his midget done just before me.
>Prices differ from place to place but I would say $500 is too much.
>I also got to see the car in bare metal when the shop owner talked me
>into urethane primer for an extra $375. So far no rust anywhere except
>around the outer lip of the boot lid. And I saw this in unrusted bare
>metal. It is where the metal folds over to form the seam. My guess is
>the rust was on the inside and worked it's way to the surface after
>paint of course.
>It hasn't gotten any worse in 2 years but it's there. That fancy primer
>really works.
>
>Problems... My buddy's Midget always had plastic media chips coming out
>of places after it was carpeted. Once a week he would vacuum up plastic
>chips.
>I have not ever seen any on the A40. The Midget may have nooks and
>crannies that store the stuff, or a lousy clean up guy when it was done.
>Other then that, no complaints from me or him.
>
>--
>Frank Clarici
>Toms River, NJ
>Down to only 3 Sprites, 1 Midget and an A40 Farina
>http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com