Re: Engine Lifting Bracket

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>, Spridgets <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Lifting Bracket
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:01:58 -0400
Brad:
I have used the stock lifting brackets numerous times until one of the
valve cover studs broke on me. We were putting the eng/trans back in the
vintage race car after a winter rebuild. I had replaced the stock head
studs with the ARP "strengthened" ones. As we got the engine at the right
angle to get the trans to clear the battery shelf, the ARP stud broke,
sending the engine/trans crashing. The oil pan hit the valence panel
forward of the radiator and the rear seal of the trans hit the concrete
floor. Nobody's fingers or toes were in the way thankfully. Ever since
then, I have used a two piece bracket set I fabricated. One is an 18" long
2"x2" angle iron that attaches to the manifold studs (all six of them) with
another piece welded to it to allow the chain attachment. The second piece
goes onto the rear generator mount on the block (two bolts) or to the front
generator mount on the water pump.
I got real paranoid about lifting that much weight that high after that
experience. Since the engine goes in and out of the race car more often
than the one in a street car, I eventually invested $199 in an engine hoist
from Sam's Club that has  more than paid for itself in ease of use and
safety. I can now remove or install the engine by myself. I still keep all
parts of my body clear. Once you drop an engine, you get real safety conscious.

At 08:16 AM 04/15/2000 -0500, Brad Fornal wrote:
>I was digging through my parts boxes and found one of the engine lifting
>brackets as shown in the OS&M page 41 (top of the left photo). Does
>anyone have another one that they would part with? With some of the
>engine work I have coming up it would be handy to have two of them and
>BTW exactly where are they supposed to bolt onto, anyone know??   Brad
Regards,

Bob Spruck
Sharpsburg, GA
' 67 Midget Vintage Racer