Re: Calif. plates for 67 Sprite

To: James Algar <JamesA@HI-TORQUE.com>
Subject: Re: Calif. plates for 67 Sprite
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:46:46 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
License plate restorers in Hemmings Motor News will make a plastic "replica" of
you original black and yellow plates.  No one will know its plastic, not even
the cop that stops you.  I was lucky enough to have both black and yellow plates
with my basket case, but the front one had taken a lot of abuse.  The restorer
that I sent it to welded it and flattened it back into new condition.  Both
plates look like new.  But this comes at a price.
     BTW, when I tried to change ownership on the registration here in
California, the first DMV employee told me I couldn't keep the black plates.  I
just excused myself, telling her I forgot my checkbook and drove to another
DMV.  The DMV employee at this DMV was very helpful and searched for the plate
numbers to see if they were being used and then issued them to me.  She even
said, "don't worry about registration non-operation fee,($10.00 per year at the
time) you have a special interest vehicle, just come back after the restoration
is complete."  It even depends on which employee you get, or if they are having
a bad day.
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite