Re: nib / nos

To: "Wiedemeyer" <boxweed@thebest.net>
Subject: Re: nib / nos
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 07:14:29 -0700
Cc: "spridgets list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I'll clarify, because I have received some both on and off list, um
disagreement with my opinion, and that is cool.  To put into perspective, I
DRIVE my cars, not show them.  When you take a 40 year old part and put it
on a close to show quality car and expose it to sun, rain and use, the 40
year old part will not last as long as even a low cost (er, um cheap)
reproduction.  For the multi-millionaires who transport their museum piece
in a climate controlled 18-wheeler to nose in the air judged contests, well,
then I guess NOS is probably the best choice.  You can see on my Midget
website that my car is finely detailed, but changes have been made to make
it user friendly on a daily basis.  I bought a NOS turn signal switch for a
princely sum because at the time the only one available didn't have the
intregal horn push.  The NOS one broke in 6 months.  I bought a NOS British
Leyland Bumper in sealed packaging with the decals still on.  When removed
from the packaging the chrome was so bad I had to send it off for replating
before installing it on my freshly painted car.  On the non-British front, I
have had similar experiences with Falcon parts.
David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget
63 Falcon