Re: nib / nos

To: Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: nib / nos
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 11:10:46 -0400
Cc: Wiedemeyer <boxweed@thebest.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Charles,
This is not intended as a flame, so please don't take it personally. Since it
appears that this thread is going to continue about the merits of reproduction
parts, I must get out the soapbox.

This subject has been reviewed ad nauseum in the past, so rather than get
detailed, I will just outline the major points.

1) SOME repro parts are useable.
2) MANY repro parts are crap. That's spelled C-R-A-P.
3) MOST of the large suppliers sell repro parts but won't tell you so unless you
ask. ("But don't they have wonderful catalogues". Gimme a break.)
4) MANY owners are unaware of differences between the factory parts and
reproductions and therefore are unaware that they have a choice.
5) ALL of the large suppliers could put an end to this continuous stream of
inferior repro parts by taking the bull by the horns and insisting on quality.
The easiest and most obvious area is that of softgoods
(tops/tonneaus/seats/interior/etc.) but the retailers are ignorant by choice.
Ever see a tonneau for a Spridget from that large California supplier? J U N K.

So Joe enthusiast who doesn't know everything about Spridgets yet, goes out and
buys a car that needs this and that and because he has a pretty catalogue from
that godly firm, he/she is lead to believe that they can supply him with
everything under the sun. He/she thinks nothing will be a problem. WRONG.

And concours and related issues of originality have nothing to do with this
problem.

When ordering parts, ask whether or not it is a repro and where it is made.
(Taiwan?) And I cannot overstate the importance of dealing with small suppliers
rather than the Wal-Marts of the lbc world. (I am still pissed about that
rebuilt gearbox that **** sold me that wouldn't stay in gear, that they wouldn't
take back, and that was rebuilt with parts from some car other than any model
Spridget and that they could not determine even after being given the part
numbers!)

Jay Fishbein
Wallingford, CT