Re: Spridget Frame Data Sheets

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Spridget Frame Data Sheets
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 08:37:34 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
From <Daniel1312 at aol.com>
To: <richard.arnold@juno.com>; <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: 15 July 2000 23:18

> Hi list,
>
> On this subject anyone know if the RB cars had exactly the same H section
> part of the front chassis as the other cars did.  I have heard that there
is
> a subtle difference that can result in better handling than the earlier
cars
> (if all things were equal and obviously they are not).  I have even heard
> rumours of some European racers transplanting this section of the chassis
> Bugeyes to gain an unfair and possibly illegal advantage.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Daniel1312

The turret section that the Front shocks bolt down to is lower.  I know this
because the Fiat Twin-cam conversions fit more easily in 1500 shells as
there is more room to fit an oil filter (Roughly where the l/h engine mount
rubber goes).  Perhaps this translates to a change in camber angle when
these cars are lowered?  If the platform is lower, the camber will be pulled
in more quickly for every inch of lowering due to the top arm (damper arm)
not being parallel to the A-frame to start with?  Just a wild-assed guess on
the camber thing but the platform positioning is a certainty.  BTDT.  When I
put the Ital engine into the white twin-cam (1972 but with a 1500 tunnel and
front H-frame) I had to cut and weld two sets of engine mount metal brackets
by about 1.75-ish inches to increase the height of the engine back to 1275
height.  Made timing a bitch which is why I put the timing marks at the top
(blatant A+ timing chain cover plug).