Re: Rear Springs

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, RBHouston@aol.com
Subject: Re: Rear Springs
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:59:29 -0700 (PDT)
I have a set of VB 10-leaf 1/4 springs on my bugeye, that I bought about 4 or
5-years ago. They are definitely 'over sprung'. If I'm driving the car solo,
the
ride is definitely quite 'bouncy, and it is quite disconcerting when hitting a
bump while cornering, and the whole car 'jumps' 6-12 inches to the out side,
because the rear left the ground. It also looks like they lifted the car 1-1.5"
in the rear.
I am planning to recondition my original rear springs, and try them, to see how
much they would improve the ride, since they appear to be much 'softer'.

As a side note, I've been trying to come up with a good method to 'lower' the
back end of 1/4 elliptical spring cars, without having to do major mods to the
springs or body. I've talked with my brother who is a machinist about making
some wedge shaped plates out of aluminum, that would neatly fit under the
spring
and change the angle enough to lower the car 1-2", using all the original
mounting HW. Does this sound like it would be of interest to other people out
there??? If there is enough interest, I can have him make up a 'lowering kit'
which he can offer to list members.

 - Bryan Vandiver
 San Jose, CA