Re: Re: My first post to the list

To: Jean-Francois Gratton <jfgratton@w3m.net>
Subject: Re: Re: My first post to the list
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:11:49 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
JF,

Took a look at the pictures.  A few points.

1)  The carb conversion looks to have been done with a set of Spitfire HS2
carbs from a 1300 CC engine.  They are 1 1/4 inch carbs, not the 1 1/2 inch
carbs that are supposed to go with a 1500 engine.  Not sure if performance will
be hindered,  but there is certainly a lack of emmissions stuff on the carbs.
I have the line from the valve cover split and going to each carb.  I removed
the carbon canisters for now.

2)  The valve next to the heater box looks correct.  It's for turning the heat
on and off.

3)  THe broken wire with the spring around it is for the water temp/oil
pressure gauge.  Not fixable by shadetree mechanics. You can have it done for
about $100, or buy a new one for about that price.

4)  The bracket on the front left side of the engine is supposed to go on the
two rearmost head studs on the left side of the engine.  If you have to pull
the engine,  it's the only really good place to chain the back of the engine.
Use the alternator bracket in the front.

5)  Engine number seems right for a midget.  It's not a spitfire engine.

6)  THe cable on the rear carb in the second picture is the manual choke.
Looks to be correctly connected.

7)  THe carbon canister is definitely not hooked up correctly.  Use your
factory manual or diagrams from list members for the correct routing.

8)  The plug on the intake manifold is an emmissions port.  I can't remember
for the life of me where it was hooked up on the ZS.  My HS4 setup has it
plugged as well.

9)  The fuel filter picture is confusing.  Is it hooked up to the carbon
canister?  It should go from the fuel pump on the right of the engine (down
below the dizzy and above the starter) to the filter to the rear float bowl to
the front bowl.  That's it.  No "T's" in the line.

10) The starter solanoid picture (last one) is a little difficult to see the
routing of the wires.  Can't help there.

11)  You may want to remove the extention on the oil filter if you don't have
an air pump.  It's just a greater distance for the oil to go before getting
back to the engine.  And it raises the filter by about 4 inches.

I'm posting pics of my engine compartment later this week.  I need to get the
photo's developed.  Hopefully, they will help.

Michael

PS:  Nice looking B