Re: My first post to the list

To: Jean-Francois Gratton <jfgratton@w3m.net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My first post to the list
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 11:17:46 -0700
Jean-Francois,

Welcome to the list.

Personally, I like the silver color, but if you want to see what you car
looked like originally, I have a '75 that is the Flamenco Red yours would
have been originally. -pics here:
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/GarageContent/75midget.htm
My car was built about one thousand before yours.

>From your various discriptions, it sounds like the gas smell is likely for
the vapor recovery system, but I would also take a good look and make sure
that the jets (at the bottom of each carb) are not dripping gas. Check that
the float bowls are not overflowing from the float level either being too
high or having a stuck float valve. Also, your float chambers should be
absolutely vertical. It is possible to assemble/mount them incorrectly and
have them tilted toward the engine. They apperar to be correct in the
photo. While you are at it, check the fuel lne connection under the car
near the transmission (passenger side). There is a rubber fuel line about
9-12 inches long between the metal line that goes to the tank, and another
metal line that comes up the back of the engine to the fuel pump.  There is
a lot of movement here and potential for a leak or worse a complete
failure. This is a potential hazard, because when this line breaks, it will
allow all the remaining fuel in the tank to drain from the car. I recommend
you inspect it at a minimum, and replace it with new if you have any doubt
about it's integrity. Mine broke suddenly about an hour after a short
drive. It was sitting in my garage, but luckily I averted disaster before
the fumes were ignited by my water heater.

The EGR valve on the '75 is in the forward side of the exhaust manifold,
below the carburettor. If you have a header, it would not be there. I would
prefer the dual SUs too.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
Discount Online Hotel Reservations in the U.S.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A