Re: hazard\direction indicator lamp

To: Toby Atwater <Toby@intri-plex.com>
Subject: Re: hazard\direction indicator lamp
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 21:40:07 -0400
Cc: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net (E-mail)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Toby Atwater wrote:

> Question to you people with early Spridgets but with hazard lights.
>
> Do the direction indicator warning lamps blink when the hazard switch is
> toggled? I am just trying to decipher my wiring diagram and it shows the
> direction indicator warning lamp wired in series with the appropriate fore
> and aft direction indicator lamp. This would mean they are using some
> strange 6 volt bulbs or something funny.

Toby

Your 69 Sprite should have a rocker toggle switch in the radio console
for the hazard lights. When you push the toggle, a red indicator lamp
should light up, this is on the console too. The right/left directional
indicators on the dash should only blink when you use the column switch
and only for turning. (one side only blinks) However.... The 4 way
hazard switch IS wired thruogh the turn signals because the turn signals
(on the outside of the car) blink. But not the dash indicators. It's a
Lucas thing I think. Many Spridgets with directional troubles can be
traced to a dirty contact on the hazard switch in the console.

If the radio console has been removed, hopefully the PO has fished out
and connected the correct wires so the signals work. The hazard was an
add on federal spec in 1968 so BL just added it to the existing harness.
It is easily bypassed with a few disconnections and reconnections of
some wires at the console.
Green powers the signals, green/white and green/red are the wire colors
for left or right signals.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ