Re: Engine and Transmission

To: ryan marro <ryan_marro@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Engine and Transmission
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 12:55:25 -0400
Cc: Daniel1312@aol.com, robert@woozy.com, toyman@digitex.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
ryan marro wrote:

> Okay already, My point was that it didn't make sense to me to go back to a
> 948 because I drive the thing all over and enjoy the extra power of the
> 1275.  If anybody out there has a 948 in their car (I know Mike does) fine.
> I'm not sayin' your a corn nut.  When I suggested a Chevy V-8 I was joking.
> I meant, like the 1275 I have, it there anything bigger, preferably British,
> that fits relatively easily, like perhaps a BL product.

> I'm making it the best I can for
> mine without, IMHO, changing it's basic character.

  I can wholeheartedly agree with this, if I came off sounding harsh
it was probably because of the "Big Amerikun Vee-Eight" concept which
usually makes me convulse.

  My own cars are very similar in concept to what you would have
if you put a 1275 and ribcase in there. (which is what I would
do if I had a bugeye, the minute the original engine showed any
signs of needing work)

  My Midget has a spitfire overdrive tranny in it, which was
never stock but is sure appreciated.

  My ZB Magnette is currently running a stock drivetrain, but
I have Saab leather seats with about 300 adjustment levers
and knobs in there, along with bum heaters and modern belts. As
well, I have an 1800cc drivetrain with overdrive that will go
in there in the coming years, to improve the highway experience. That
might lead to a disk brake conversion as well, and the story goes...

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca