Re: Engine and Transmission

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, robert@woozy.com, toyman@digitex.net
Subject: Re: Engine and Transmission
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 00:26:45 GMT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
That's what I was looking for, thoughts and ideas from both sides.  When I
bought the Bugeye, it was in pieces and the 948/smoothcase had been replaced
with a 1275/ribcase, so there was really no choice in it being stock or
modified.  Now, I am just looking to improve my car to make it a better
daily driver (yes, every day to work and wherever else).  Never having known
any of the Healeys personnally, I can't speak with authority, but I doubt
that they would still be building their cars with a 948cc engine these days.
  I believe when Geoff was still alive (God bless the entire Healey family)
he looked to continually improve the car and to put out a quality product.
I think I will probably do the 5-speed modification at some point in the
future and also change to an alternator, electronic ignition, halogen
headlights, etc, but probably leave the engine as is.  I remember the first
time I saw a Bugeye with a Chevy 350, lowered and with huge rear tires, my
first thought was probably, "Blasphemy!"  I enjoy the 1275 and can't imagine
giving it up for a 948, but kudos to those who keep theirs all original.

As a side note, I saw on Motor Week this afternoon that BMW had a car at the
Paris car show recently labeled as the 2002 Mini Cooper.  I believe this is
actually a car that will be built, but a lot of the cars on the show were to
be sold in Europe only (I had just tuned to the channel when the Mini Cooper
was being talked about).