Re: Re: Guns -- Off Topic

To: busyrider@springmail.com, richard.arnold@juno.com
Subject: Re: Re: Guns -- Off Topic
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 23:27:06 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Nice story on the news tonite about cops in LA who shot and killed an
innocent person at a private Halloween party in Hollywood. Everyone
at the party was in costume, the person who was shot and killed had a
toy gun as part of their outfit. The cops shot through a window of
the house six times unprovoked and never announced their presence.
The person they killed was a television actor.

The only purpose of a gun is to kill or maim, thus ownership should
be regulated, taxed and the owner should have to carry insurance just
as we have to do with cars. Every day children are killed playing
with the guns of their parents who are supposedly responsible gun
owners. When I was younger my father taught me to hunt. I thought it
was the most idiotic things anyone could do, and 30 years later I
still feel the same way. Nothing like a bunch of guys getting tanked
up and killin' sumptin'.

Here in North Carolina we have innocent people getting shot in their
back yards by these so called hunters, they shoot at dogs, cats, each
other, anything that moves basically. I have a good friend, a fellow
MG owner who bought a nice house bordering on the woods for himself,
his wife, and his daughter. Now that deer season is upon us he wakes
up every morning to the sound of gun fire. Doesn't he have the right
to live on his own property with the fear that some drunk bozo might
take a shot at him or his family?

All of this macho posturing around the right to own a gun makes me
sick frankly. I wasn't going to say anything but but the pro gun
yahoos just keep on posting their rhetoric so I feel its time to hear
from some of us on the other side of the fence.

Its funny but gun owners always talk about Americans' rights when it
comes to guns and the erosion of our rights, I'd be interested in
seeing where they stand when it comes to other rights, such as a
woman's right to choose, or gay rights. Historically they don't seem
to care much about those rights. How about the right to have a
president who can put together a sentence with any help from coaches
and aides? How many of you gun owners plan to vote for a man who
says, and I quote "There ought to be limits to freedom". Talk about
erosion of rights.........

Well, ya'll brought it up.

Robert Weeks

please visit:

http://www.iknowwhatyoudidintexas.com

Texas Supplies Guns for Out-of-State Crimes:
  In 1998, federal agents traced 1,176 guns used in crimes outside of
Texas to Texas gun dealers. In fact, Texas ranked fifth among
out-of-state gun suppliers to criminals for weapons that could be
traced; guns sold through the gun show loophole were not counted in
this survey. [Houston Chronicle, 6/13/99]