Re: Ice And ABS (NO LBC)

To: David Riker <davidr@sunset.net>
Subject: Re: Ice And ABS (NO LBC)
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 03:41:59 -0500
Cc: Larry & Sandi Miller <millerls@ado13.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
David Riker wrote:
> In many instances the stopping distance will actually be longer
> due to ABS, ...

  Interestingly, I was watching one of those "supercar shootouts"
on Road and Track TV.

  They do all of the performance things, 0-60, 0-100, slalom,
skidpad, and of course braking.

  Of note, the Dodge Viper was the worst braking car in
the batch, and the dialogue said "probably having a lot
to do with the fact that it's the only car in the bunch
without ABS".

  Other than the snow-wedging effect talked about earlier,
a modern ABS system really does brake at the limit
extremely well.

  I beleive the proper statement is more "in a select few
instances" rather than "in many instances".

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca