Re: another dumb newbie question

To: Chris Kotting <ckotting@core.com>
Subject: Re: another dumb newbie question
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 14:18:04 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Chris,

I read Horler, too, and I did not see where he documented or
referenced real structural data about the RWA. I don't doubt that the
SWA might be more structurally sound, but do they _need_ to be? Were
there really problems with the RWA or was it a preemptive change to
placate a supposed changed in safety regulations? I've always
wondered about this claim because it seems to me that it would be
difficult to determine whether it's true. Is there a database of
accident reports that would allow us to compare SWA vs RWA? Did
BMC/BL conduct accident tests? This may be worthwhile knowing in case
one wanted to change from SWA to RWA for just aesthetics (e.g., not
for racing needs).

Jeff

At 12:35 PM -0500 11/6/00, Chris Kotting wrote:
>Okay, here's a "significant opposing view".  I like the square arches on
>the later Midgets.  (So call me a weirdo.)
>
>The reason that the round arches are so rare is that it was a sylist's
>change that conflicted with engineering needs.
>
>The Frogeye had round wheel arches, but then again, the Frogeye had no
>bootlid!  When they made that big square opening for the bootlid, they
>lost a lot of structural stiffness back there.  When they went to the
>1/2 elliptic rear axle (not to mention meeting the 5 MPH impact
>standards), they needed that missing stiffness, hence, the square
>arches.  The round arches were an anomalous result of a stylist getting
>a change put through over the engineer's heads.  It got changed back
>when there started to be problems.
>
>At least that's the story as told by Horler's "Original Sprite and
>Midgets" book.  I would tend to trust that as a reliable source.
>
>Now as for the aesthetic value, the "squarebody" Midget with round wheel
>arches just looks "wrong" to me.  The Frogeye's round arches
>complemented the rounded rear end, the squared off rear arches, to me,
>compliment the more squared off rear end of the later cars.
>
>But, as has been often said by many on this list (me included) "It's
>_your_ car, do what you want."
>
>Chris
>
>Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > If you have the option of converting to RWA, do it.  You can't
>get much wider
> > tires if you keep the SWA openings.  If competition is in your future, you
> > will need to have RWA or flared fenders.

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu