Re: magnet on/off switch

To: <Mjsprite@aol.com>, "Spridgeteers" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: magnet on/off switch
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 08:12:22 -0500
Simple. The base is actually made of multiple magnets, (cheaper versions are a
variety of magnets and metal bars).
When you turn the handle it simply lines up the magnets
so they are all polarized in the same direction (north south poles in same
direction)
thus increasing the total magnetic field.

example three magnets  - poles opposed  N-SS-NN-S, etc ) the field almost
cancels itself.  When lined up  N-SN-SN-S all the fields add, strengthening
the field.

(we use them here for all kinds of stuff in the optical engineering lab)

Paul Tegler   wizardz@toad.net        http://www.teglerizer.com