RE: magnet on/off switch

To: "Brad Fornal" <toyman@digitex.net>
Subject: RE: magnet on/off switch
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 18:36:58 -0500
Cc: "Spridgeteers" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Brad,

That kind of switch is called a "reed" switch.  A magnet pulls it in from
one side (open) to the close side.  You should be able to pick them up at
any radio shack/electronics store.  Burglar alarm door switches are the same
thing: one reed switch (mounted on the frame), one magnet (mounted on the
door).

Oh, as an aside, those things are generally VERY low current.  You will most
likely have to use it to pull in a relay to turn on your motor or whatever.

Bill