Re: home painting your LBC

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>
Subject: Re: home painting your LBC
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 22:27:17 -0500
Cc: "Hanna, Mark" <mhanna@ball.com>, Spridget Mail List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
A large portion of my job involves toxic risk analysis of automotive spray
painting.  Quite honestly, you're not doing yourself the favor you think you
are.

The toxics break down into two main categories, solid particulate and VOC.  The
solid particulates are stopped quite readily with a decent filter.  Even a cheap
disposable dust filter will do a surprizingly good job (about 70%).  The VOC's,
like isocyanates, go right through a resperator.  Even a good activated charcoal
filter will only hold them back for a few minutes, and only some of them at
that.

If you really want to protect yourself, you need to use a remote air supply.
You also want to be wearing full face protection, because you eyes absorb VOC's
readily.  You also need to be wearing a filter when your sanding, particularly
if you dry sand.  That's when you start really pumping things like titanium
dioxide and silicate into the air.

Don't be overly afraid of the new paints, or overly comfortable with the old
ones.  There are bad actors in them all.  Some of the new paints from companies
like PPG are almost edible.  And virtually anything ever made from DuPont is
nasty.  Get the MSDS and read it for whatever paint you chose.  If you need some
help with it, let me know.