Re: paint

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, spritenut@Exit109.com, mhanna@ball.com
Subject: Re: paint
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 05:49:28 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/2/00 4:09:59 AM, Daniel1312@aol.com writes:

<<s this what we would call cellulose?

Daniel,

I don't think so.  As best I can tell U.S. "enamel with a hardener" is what
U.K. folks refer to as "two-pack".  Lacquer is a fast-drying paint that was
one of the staples of DIY painters for years.  Its advantages are quick
flash-off to minimize dust adherence and the ability to be sanded between
coats to eliminate runs and other imperfections.
Hot rodders used to do up to 25-30 coat paint jobs with lacquer, sanding each
coat down between layers with progessively finer sandpaper.  The big
disadvange of lacquer is that it is easily susceptible to weather damage and
fading, some jobs lasting only 2-3 years.  Like the UK, environmental
regulations are cutting down the options for home-painting and lacquer paint
sales in my state (Massachusetts) are banned.  Many of the newer paint
systems that have replaced lacquer are far more durable and vastly superior
to lacquer, but are highly toxic and must be applied under controlled
conditions with the painter being supplied with an outside air supply.
(unless you're a certain Bonnevile racer from Alabama.)<G>

Rick