Re: paint

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, <spritenut@Exit109.com>, <mhanna@ball.com>
Subject: Re: paint
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 09:44:47 -0000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
waaaayyyy back in the early days of enamel paint (straight enamel) there was
nitrocelulose laquer.   it was what evry laquer job up into the 60's was
done with.(btw! most old laquers were photochemically reactive, the clear
yellowed, and colors faded when exposed to direct bright light!, hence cars
stored in garages with a window on one side and not on the other in some
cases were 2 difrent colors from window side fading)  then came along
acrylic laquer.   and along came catalised acrylic enamel .  acrylic enamel
with a hardner you added to make the paint "cure" faster and more resistant
to damage.   a straight enamel paint takes almost a year to completly harden
or dry without baking in a heated spray booth.   the stuff was an instant
shine paint job in an era of laquer needing to be buffed after sanding with
evry paint job done.  the enamel was cool for it's time.  now we have epoxy
based paints water based paints, base coat clear coat paints and a myriad of
manufacturers whose names for the same products do not readthe same.
another suprise in the paint world is............if you are using dupont
paint, use all dupont materials(thinner etc.) and the same goes for sikens
and so forth.   you can get into a real bind with some product
incompatibility if you try to mix manufacturers materials.   and after it
comes out of the spray gun is too late to find out you made a mistake!

chuck.
i was spraying acrylic enamel this morning!  geez!  it was 17 degrees
outside this morning when i went out to the shop.
bbbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!...............c.   :)