Re: paint

To: Charles Christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: paint
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 01:09:38 -0500
Cc: ryan marro <ryan_marro@hotmail.com>, Daniel1312@aol.com, spritenut@Exit109.com, mhanna@ball.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Charles Christ wrote:

> dupont centauri is my choice for a trouble free finish.

  I used it for my MGB as well. It's basically pretty
darn cheap paint, but it looks fine and it was easy
to apply. I applied it without the hardener because I
didn't have breathing gear, and it came out fine just
took a few days to get hard enough to use and a few
months to get truly hard.

  For a DIY paint job, it's pretty much the only
choice. Lacquer is too expensive and too much work to
sand out, and anything else will kill you. ;>

> doing a blend (spot repair) is not so easy. i would recomend doing
> complete panels if you must paint anything .  preperation for a blend and
> execution of a sucessfull spot repair is in the surface preperation and
> proper color match .

  There is also a lot of hand technique which can be helpful.

  I wouldn't try it just from this description, but basically
there is a flick of the wrist at the end of the stroke that
will fan the paint out to help blending.

  It doesn't work well with metallics, because the "flick" will
make the metallics flow differently and it'll show. But for
solid colours it is a real labour saver. Better than prepping a
whole panel!

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca