Re: 1500 Midget and twin HS2 carb setup

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1500 Midget and twin HS2 carb setup
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 15:55:08 -0500
Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:

> The thing that really interests me though is whether or not a single HS6 or
> HIF6/HIF44 is superior to twin HS2 on the 1500 Midget - certainly it is on
> the A-series but this is with a performance orientated manifold.

This is an interesting question.  It seems that the only manifold for
a single carburetor on the 1500 Midget is the stock manifold which comes
with the single ZS.  I have not found an after market manifold that is
made for a 1500 and a single carburetor, in this case the either the
HS6 or the HIF44.   The only choice for a single carburetor is to
modify the stock 1500 manifold to accept a HS6.  This still leaves
you with a manifold that is less than perfect.

As the owner of 1500 cc Midget I feel the there really are only 2
choices (excluding Weber setups):

        1.  Modify the stock intake and fit an HS6.
        2.  Go to a dual HS4 setup, ala UK spec.

As always it comes down to dollars.  If the cost of a dual HS4 or
HS2 setup is close you might has well go with the HS4.  I don't
know of anyone who has tried all three setups, dual HS2, dual HS4
and single HS6, on a single car.  The more I look at this the more
it seems that the best overall choice is the dual HS4 setup, even
if it costs  more than the single HS6.  Again it is a matter of
the delta.

With that in mind I know a junkyard/breaker rat who is prowling
the UK yards as we speak looking for a dual HS4 setup for me.
He should be hand carrying it to the states on December 26 if I
get lucky.  We will have to see how this turns out.

Any ideas or input is welcome.

Bill Gilroy

PS.  I do realize the the carburetor is only one part of an entire
system, and that the act of optimizing one component, only moves the
bottleneck elsewhere in the system.   Just like software.

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
wmgilroy.vcf]