Re: disc brake/wire wheels

To: Joseph Burruso <jburruso@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: disc brake/wire wheels
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 20:54:38 -0500
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
Joseph Burruso wrote:
>  does anyone know if
> bugeyes were originally produced with optional wires and/or front
> discs?  Also, how difficult would it be to convert to wires and discs?

Joe

Bugeyes did not come with optional wires or disc brakes.
BUT....Several aftermarket specialty shops and BMC special tuning did
offer Girling disc brakes and wire wheels.
Not exactly factory options but not exactly unheard of.

To convert from steel wheels/drum brakes, you will need a doner spridget
from 64 up with wire wheels. (or you can try to buy new swivel axles,
hubs, rotors, calipers, etc)
The front end from a later model will bolt right up to a bugeye. The
easiest way to do this is to change everything from the A arms out.
And while you are at it, make sure the doner car has good kingpins.
Replace the bushings in the A arms, don't even think about reusing the
rubber brake hoses, just buy new. Nothing worse then having a brake hose
blow out in traffic.
The swivel axles are different from drum to disc brakes as are the king
pins. Also there are different brake rotors for wire wheel and steel
wheel cars.

There may be someone on the list willing to part with a wire/disc set
up.
Try to get everything including the A arms or you will have to install
different king pins on your existin A arms. (The A arms are the same)

Wire wheel axles will fit in a steel wheel axle banjo but they are 3/8"
too short. They fit, they work, just don't do any racing with this set
up. Here again, the correct swap would be a Midget wire wheel rear axle
(complete) but from a 1/4 leaf car, 61-63 only.

So if you have a 62 Midget with wires, you still need a 65 Midget with
disc brakes because the 65 Midget rear will not fit in a 1/4 leaf car.

When switching the stock Bugeye brakes to discs, I would recommend
swapping the brake master cyl from the original 7/8 bore to the mid 60s
3/4 bore master. (it bolts right in) Or with serious alterations, use
the later dual brake master from a 70s Midget. (it's not even close to
bolting right in)

Well now you have a bunch of ideas.
What you want to do is not hard or costly if you have access to a couple
parts cars. Or just one parts car if you don't mind having just tad
short rear axles. Like I said, they work, I have converted 2 to wires
this way.
Never a problem and I don't baby any of my sprites.
My Bugeye is running later Midget disc brakes.
I have converted 2 Bugeyes and a 59 A40 to discs. I highly recommend the
3/4 master cyl though, my 60 Bugeye used to like to slide out in the
rear when I hit the brakes hard. Now that I have a 3/4 master, it does
not do that.

Good luck
Frank