Re: Junkyard Wars was: Re: LBC conversion

To: "Michael Lupynec" <mlupynec@globalserve.net>, "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>, <CNAArndt@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Junkyard Wars was: Re: LBC conversion
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:32:19 -0500
Cc: <HealeyRic2@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Actually a lot of it has to do with practicality and safety. Take a look at
the web page of one of the teams that was on last fall -
http://www.the-nerds.org - and look at their Frequently Asked Questions.
There's even a link to the question "Is the yard seeded?" right on the front
page. They say right out that it is. Some of it has to do with
practicality - they want both teams to be able to have something usable at
the end. Some with safety - would you really want to build some of these
things with air tanks, steam engines, and so forth of totally unknown
condition? It's supposed to be fun and educational - not dangerous. And some
of it has to do with legal liability. Here's an excerpt from "The Nerds"
much lengthier response:

The basic rule for seeding: If its not possible to safely improvise a part
with the time and tools provided, they will provide something that can be
pressed into service. It will require some ingenuity to make it work, it
will never "just bolt on". If there are specific safety regulations, the
relavant parts will always be provided. For example, things like safety
valves, regulators, and gas tanks will be planted, and will have their
certification paperwork sitting in the directors briefcase. (and if we
happen to find such a part that isn't one of the known good ones, they don't
let us use it)   A good example: The propellor that the navy crew hacked up
was provided. Any propellor they could make in the time they had (no time
for glue to dry to laminate) would not have been safe to run up to speed.
Another example was the tank and regulator used by the Dipsticks submarine -
The tank had a current hydro test, and the regulators used were new.

But: Just because they give you a part, that doesn't mean its clear sailing.
For example the wheels in the tractor pull. Sure they were there, but none
of the differentials in the yard came close to fitting the bolt circle. If
you wanted to use them, you had to make it work.

And this brings up another point: That same helpfull crew that hides
essential parts, can just as easily remove them. They made sure that there
wern't matching differentials for those wheels. In the fire fighting boat
episode, there wasn't a pump to be had. Both teams had to make a pump. And
not just a wimpy one, the burning shed was supposed to be 50 feet away.
<<<<

Maybe they should explain a little of this upfront, but I don't really mind.
Regardless, between "Junkyard Wars" and "BattleBots" there are at least two
shows on TV now that I hate to miss!

Eddie
1971 Midget