Re: questions???

To: "SAUTHOFF PATRICIA JEAN" <Patricia.Sauthoff@Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re: questions???
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 20:32:12 -0000
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
From SAUTHOFF PATRICIA JEAN <Patricia.Sauthoff at Colorado.EDU>
To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Cc: <patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU>; <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: 15 February 2001 18:42

> Seriously, my bf may have found himself a vintage race car, and really
> wants to know if it's going to take a lot of work to get this sucker going
> again.  The guy who is selling it has a 948 for it, we just don't know if
> changing it back is going to be a huge hassle, or if it'll just drop right
> in.
>
> On Thu, 15 Feb 2001 Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
>
> > No brains, no common sense, bad taste, understanding of engineered
solutions,
> > etc.
> >
> > Daniel1312
> >
> > In a message dated 14/02/01 19:14:05 Pacific Standard Time,
> > patricia.sauthoff@Colorado.EDU writes:
> >
> > << What is required to undo a Volvo 1600 conversion? >>

Dropping an A+ engine (1275) and spitfire/1500 gearbox into one of the Fiat
engined cars was not too bad.  Depends how much you value the 'originality'
in the shell.  Guess the tunnel for the gearbox will have been butchered and
the crossmember below your knees will have been cut away.  I bought a centre
section from Mike Meeks to weld back into the car, although it was a 1275
and was not a perfect fit for the 1500 'box.  The fiat engines are wider so
I had previously cut away much of the passengers (left side of car) footwell
to get the starter motor out and had moved the battery to just above the
passengers feet.  The heater tray was long gone (still is) but the tray was
replaced with a shorter one that allowed extra space for a thick locating
rod to stop the engine rocking sideways.
Cut+weld+cut+weld etc.

Rip out the Volvo and drop in the 948.  See where you can put back the
original metal and ignore the rest.  Make sure the repairs give sufficient
strength in areas where any structural steel was 'adjusted' before.