Re: Silicone fluid, WARNING: Newbie Question

To: cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silicone fluid, WARNING: Newbie Question
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:58:40 EST
In a message dated 2/15/01 2:45:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cbking@mail.alum.rpi.edu writes:

> I've got to do a complete brake job this summer anyway, so I had to ask the
> Two Dollar Dumb Question (TM), why not DOT3? The BL manual I have
> *specifically* mentions that it's OK to use DOT3 on the '75-'79 Midget. Is
> the manual wrong? I haven't checked Haynes yet - mine hasn't arrived as

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

DOT 3 will probably not cause any problems in newer Midgets.  The older cars
have a brake light switch that is in the brake line and hydraulically
operated.  The seals in it (or at least the original seals) will be destroyed
by US spec. DOT 3 fluid.  (Which is different than UK spec DOT 3, just to
confuse the issue.)

Newer Midgets use an electric brake light switch at the top of the pedal, and
won't have that particular problem.

DOT 4 is generally better because it has a higher useful temp. range.  Also,
make sure you change the fluid every two years for regular street use,
annually if you race or autocross.  I like Castrol GT LMA, but Valvoline has
a synthetic DOT 4 fluid that is probably pretty good, and more expensive.
Changing the fluid regularly will avoid all sorts of problems.  All brake
fluid (except silicone) absorbs water, and the water causes most of the
problems, like soft pedal, rust in the system, etc.

Did I get that right Ed?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget