Re: Silicone fluid, WARNING: Newbie Question

To: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Subject: Re: Silicone fluid, WARNING: Newbie Question
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:55:46 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jim Juhas wrote:

> Can you review the current thinking on the issue of using silicone fluids?

Here we go again.....

I have silicone in my A40 (Sprite brakes) It has been in there for 3
years now. No serious problems, no mushy pedal, no problems bleeding.
Everything was new when I started with the slicone.

I do have problems though. Not braking but with hydraulic operated brake
light pressure switches.
Cheap Indian made switches leak, all others seem to fail after 2 months
due to the insulating properties of silicone.
I even went for the big bucks silicone fluid only brake light switch
only to have it fail in 60 days too.
A mechanical brake light switch will cure the problem.
All my problems are pressure switch related.

Advantages (my personal this is because there are some pros and cons on
this subject right Allen?)

Always a nice rock hard pedal, I can not say the same with dot 4.
Never a leaky cylinder in 3 years now. I can not say the same about dot
4
Install it, bleed it, forget about it. (I can not say.....)
It does not eat paint like dot 4
It does not absorb moisture.
It seems to stay nice and clean.

Disadvantages....
Hard to find on a Sunday coming from a LBC swap meet and your pressure
switch leaked out most of your fluid.
It eats pressure switches.
2 times the price to buy.

These are my expieriences so far. Others WILL voice thier mind on this
subject. :)

--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ