Re: Converting a UK Frogeye to USA Bugeye

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Converting a UK Frogeye to USA Bugeye
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:25:11 -0500
How many nights of 'moonshine' ?

-----Original Message-----

>...but do keep current with the workings of the heater system.  300 days of
sunshine, many below freezing, right James?   Just like here in Klamath
Falls... which by the way boasts 320 days of sunshine!

>WFO Herb
>Keep the sticky side down!
>Bugeyes, Mk III Sprite & '80 TR8... Almost catching up with Jon P.
(Birdman)
>Klamath Falls, Oregon
>
>James Nazarian Jr wrote:
>
>> Hey Robert,
>>
>> I don't think we've met, but my girlfriend Trisha sent you her
impressions of driving a Bugeye in Colorado.  First off, I'm glad you
decided to bring it, they are a joy to have in this area.  With over 300
days of sunshine a year you won't regret it, and you may well forget how to
work the hood.

>> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 07:17:11AM -0700, Robert Latham profoundly
declared:
>> > So some stupid questions
>> >
>> >       - after it been for a pollution check it
>> >       will be issued with Colorado plates. So what
>> >       is the best way to attach them. The current
>> >       nmumber plate fits snugly in a recess at the
>> >       back and on a small plate ( no bumper) at the
>> >       front.
>>
>> If the front plate is the plinth that was available for bumperless cars,
then keep using it.  Don't do anything too permanent because there is
legislation going on right now to rid Colorado of the front plate
requirement.  Off hand I don't remember how the rear one is mounted on
Trisha's car, but I'm sure when she sees this she'll tell you.

>> >       - Petrol or Gas - I have 956cc Gold seal engine
>> >       (basically a factory rebuild of the original
>> >       956cc). I'm inteding to add some STP lead
>> >       subsitute to the tank what rating fuel
>> >       works best.
>>
>> With the altitude the required octane rating drops two points.  At sea
level the regular gass is 87, up here it is 85.  For the diffence in cost we
run premium in all our LBCs but the rule is you can run as low a rating as
you can without pinging.  They will run on 85, but I prefer the premium
because I feel like my gas mileage and performance is up a bit.

>> >       - Carbs being at 5000ft+ intending to fit some
>> >       lean needles to its HS1 carbs, does this make
>> >       sense.
>> It makes sense, but it is unnecessary.  I taking a few flats out of the
jets will lean the mixture over the whole range of throttle, assuming the
car ran right in the UK, that is all you will need to do to get it running
right here.  I think as a rough guess, it will take 8 flats leaner to get in
the correct range.  I've brought a few cars here from sealevel, and they all
seem to take about 8 flats.

>> > Any other thoughts as to what needs doing - I hope it will
>> > not need seat belts etc.
>> >
>> Seat belts are not required for pre-67 cars, but if they were ever
installed then they will have to be there.  Either way If you ever get
stopped you will probably get ticketed, and you will have to explain to the
court that the law says you don't have to have them.  I doubt the traffic
cops will know this.  If you want, Moss has some nice vintage looking belts
(lap only) that go very well in a bugeye.

>> Consider the classic plates, they are a bit more expensive, but they only
require smog testing every 5 years.  I don't know the rules on mileage and
driving with them though.