suspension

To: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: suspension
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:49:44 -0000
Hi Guys,

I have a 1971 Austin Sprite on which I am rebuilding the front suspension.
New wishbones, Stub axles and dampers are all going on.

I have split the ball joint are OK, removed the top trunnion and removed the
springs, and taken off the nut on the end of the inner wishbone pins. Now
work has stopped......I cannot for the life of me get the pins to budge. I
suspect they are rusted to the Metalelastic wishbone bushes. Has anybody got
any cunning plans how to get the pins out? I am contemplating heating the
pin up to try and free it from the rubber bush, or maybe running a single
hack saw blade through the pin in between the wishbone arm and the car body.
I am not keen on using too much force as the car is not in its first flush
of youth and I don't want the metal to turn to dust.

Also, when I removed the spring, the mounting looked fine but the rubber
rebound stop appears to be rusted up. Has anybody ever had the wishbone arm
hit this? I wonder if its worth welding a new bump stop bracket  are just
cleaning up the old one?

Any help in this cruel world gratefully received ;-)

Cheers

John

///