Re: Brake servo

To: Spridget Mail List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake servo
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 21:29:17 -0800
<<snip>>It also states that it is for single line brake systems.  I would
want to convert the car at some point to dual line, for maximum safety.
<<snip>

All Midgets/Sprites up to 1966 have combined clutch and brake master
cylinders, and single channel brake systems.  For about one year, 1967 or
1968, I'm not exactly sure, they were still single channel brake systems,
but have separate clutch and brake master cylinders.  From 1969 on, they all
have dual channel brake systems.

My friend had a 1976 Midget that he installed a power brake servo in.
Because of the design and location of the Spridget brake master cylinder,
you have to use a remote servo.  These are not mechanically linked to the
brake pedal or master cylinder at all.  The servo he used is also used on
Mini's and looked similar to the ones used on the Lotus Europa.  His
installation resulted in power front brakes and manual rear brakes.  It made
for a very good pedal feel with minimal pedal effort. He removed the
charcoal evaporative canister to allow room for the servo installation.
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon
70 Torino