Re: Japanese Products (NO LBC)

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, spritenut@Exit109.com, transerv@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: Japanese Products (NO LBC)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:51:18 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Spridgets@autox.team.net
> engines may run for ever but
> the steel is thin and they all just rotted away.

We used to say that on old J'nese cars if you rub the
paint you can read "Schlitz" underneath (old US beer
brand for the young or Euro).

Seriously, everyone can draw their own conclusions,
but I will relate my Jap car history (MR2 and Miata
were mine, rest were owned by my parents and wife):

1978 Celica , sold in 87 with 180,000 miles, 3 sets of
brakes, no other maintenance (not a water pump,
clutch, nothing)
1985 Camry, sold last year, 205,000 miles, 4 sets of
brakes, no other maintenance (even CV joints were
original)
1987 MR2 - sold in '90 with 50K miles, zero dollars in
maintenance
1990 Miata sold in '95, 50,000 miles, 1 set of plug
wires (warranty fix)
1992 Camry, sold in '98 92,000 miles, 1 set of brake
pads
1998 Sienna Minivan - 40,000 miles to date, due for
brakes.

This pretty much falls into the "who cares?" category.
Boring cars mostly, yes.  But the reliability of these
cars is remarkable.

=====
Ron Soave
"Driver Carries No Cash" and now you know why

///