Re: LBC Garage Necessities

To: "Charlie O'Connor" <coconnor@ersnet.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: LBC Garage Necessities
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 09:40:37 -0700
Hi Charlie,

That stuff is more than just for fun!  But seriously there are a number
of
things that I would incorporate into a nifty DIY shop.  They would be
not
necessarily limited to these suggestion but here are some to think
about.

Finish all walls with drywall and taped joints.  Paint all walls and
ceilings
white.  Yes, white!

Have ample electricity capacity.  You will need also 220 in the shop.

Wall off a small area with exhaust venting to the outside where you can
put a
sand blast cabinet, your degreaser, welding, grinding, cutting area.
This is
dirty stuff and is best kept out of the general shop area.

Have one very sturdy work bench with a steel top.  Tops can be made at
sheet
metal shops inexpensively to fit your bench.  have a back splash on it.

Have several other work small bench areas where you can keep a project
going
without the need to clear it off to start another one.

Lots of small shelving space wherever you want it.  Using the adjustable
home
type works well.

Plumb the shop with air lines with outlets at frequent intervals and
especially
at work benches with coil hoses permanently mounted.  Have an air hose
reel
mounted on the ceiling to avoid lines on the floor.  Tuck your air
compressor in
a lesser used area and connect to the air plumbing with flex line and
use an air
dryer on the main line and regulators at assorted outlets.  Have an
outlet on
the front outside or towards the driveway.

Several electrical outlets hanging down from the ceiling.  Trouble
lights with
retractable reels on the ceiling.  More electrical outlets along the
walls than
you think you will ever need.  Have some on the outside of the shop,
too.

Pre wire for phone lines and phone/TV cables.  Outlets where you think
they
should be and more.

Need hot and cold running water in a small bath/shower/toilet.  Need a
shop sink
also.

Use multiple garage doors rather than one super size one.

Set up an exhaust hose outlet with a flex line for the car exhaust
pipe.  Never
run an engine in a closed shop with no exhaust hose connected, even for
minute.

You may also think of a small office/book research area set aside from
the main
shop where you can do quiet work and have your computer located away
from dirty
areas.

You forgot to say what your budget is on this project!  Before you get
started,
increase the size of the shop at least 50%.  No maybe 100%.  That might
not even
be enough!

Oh, I forgot! Build a nice carport for your wife to park her car under.
This is
your shop, isn't it? <GBG>

Regards, Paul A

"O'CONNORS, CHARLIE" wrote:

> Thanks Pa.  I especially like the overstuffed chair and 'frig idea.
And I
> have this sneaky suspicion that the wife would agree with the idea on
> putting a bed out there.

///