RE: Re[2]: Should have used The Club...

To: "Bill Gilroy" <w.gilroy@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Should have used The Club...
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 12:42:18 -0700
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Bill wrote:

"Locks only keep honest people honest.  Any thief can defeat just about
any type of lock you put on you car or house.    Some things work, but
the are real inconvenient, such as a real gun safe (you know 10 bolts and
800 lbs.)  Damn shame."

Yes, I agree... In England, I was involved in running a car club- I was a
committee member for nine years and the chairman for the last three years
before my departure for California in 1990, and we had over 5,000 members
when I left... Unfortunately, our cars were very prized by thieves...

It did not seem to matter how many fuel cutout/ignition killing switches you
put on your car... Some owners would have the VIN number etched on the glass
(windows, windscreen), hoping thieves would not take the car as glass
replacement is expensive... the thieves wanted the cars for parts, mostly,
and many stolen vehicles were found as bare shells, completely
stripped...some were never seen again... and on the newer cars, even the
most sophisticated devices did not stop the professionals. We also had
lawyers trying to get information from the club- to defend criminals who
were caught stealing members'cars!  All this left me rather disillusioned.

Jacques Le Clainche
SCCA 1985 Mazda Spec RX-7 #44, San Diego region
VARA 1960 Austin-Healey Sprite #4, F Production