Re: HELP...need advice!

To: Tracey Converse <converse@swbell.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HELP...need advice!
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 12:32:44 -0400
Tracey,

1) Well in my opinion, get the lever shocks from Peter C. Do Not convert to
a tube shock. It screws up the geometry of the suspension. Esp up front.

2) Use a Pillow?

3) Make it yourself?

4) There are several good Self-Help books available, you might try
"A Short Guide to a Happy Life" by Anna Quindlen from Amazon.

Larry (who has no comment on the last comment)

At this exact moment in time 6/2/01 11:28 PM, "Tracey Converse"
<converse@swbell.net> made the profound statement:

> Okay, call me a fool...I recently purchased a lovely 1975 MG Midget. So,
> that's not the bad part...I bought it really cheap and it has some
> problems. Hee hee...don't we all! It's headed to the shop on Monday for a
> bumper to bumper run down of what needs to be fixed. This is what I've
> caught so far and the questions that I have. Please remember, this is my
> second Midget. (I had the sell the first one 6 years ago when the real baby
> was born.) I'm not a mechanic but I want to learn....but I don't want to
> make anything worse than it already is...
>
> 1. Shocks-My mechanic says to stay away from conversion kits and just bit
> the bullet for new ones. What is your opinion? How many of you have
> converted your lever shocks and hated it or loved it.
>
> 2. Clutch Fluid Leak-Yup, I've got on...it looks as though it's coming from
> the clutch. Slave cylinder looks okay. But, when you drive the car you must
> push the clutch to the floor to get it to shift nicely. Otherwise, you
> grind those gears. By the way...nothing like being a chick and grinding
> your gears...guys give you a look like...idiot woman, can't even drive a
> standard! :) The only problem I'm having it from a dead start into first.
> Upshifting seems to cause the car no problem. So...either I need a new
> clutch, I've got a bad seal or my pedal needs adjustment or all three...is
> there some sort of test I can do before tearing into the clutch?
>
> 3. Wiring...ARRRGH! Where can you find a GOOD diagram perhaps color coded
> of the wiring for a 75 Midget?
>
> 4. Books...what do you guys suggest I buy??? Lord knows, I need the help!
>
> Luckily, the motor is strong and the front end appears to be okay.
>
> Tracey

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

"Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
 --Mark Twain