Re: HELP...need advice!

To: "Tracey Converse" <converse@swbell.net>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: HELP...need advice!
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:13:17 -0400
> 2. Clutch Fluid Leak-Yup, I've got on...it looks as though it's coming
from
> the clutch. Slave cylinder looks okay. But, when you drive the car you
must
> push the clutch to the floor to get it to shift nicely. Otherwise, you
> grind those gears. By the way...nothing like being a chick and grinding
> your gears...guys give you a look like...idiot woman, can't even drive a
> standard! :) The only problem I'm having it from a dead start into first.
> Upshifting seems to cause the car no problem. So...either I need a new
> clutch, I've got a bad seal or my pedal needs adjustment or all three...is
> there some sort of test I can do before tearing into the clutch?

I should have commented on this in my previous message. This sounds
*exactly* like my car. I have a 1275, so trans, etc. are different from
yours. My problem is (I think) excessive play in the the clutch release
fork. I don't know if that would be your problem or not - could be I
suppose, but the 1500 clutch mechanism is a bit different from the 1275 in
the way the release arm is mounted, so maybe it isn't a susceptible to this
problem. But since you think you have a leak, I would start from there and
make sure all the hydraulics are in good shape.

- Quick test - if you pump the clutch a couple of times before engaging
first, does that help? If so, you can start by bleeding the system. But for
good measure check everything else just in case...

- Check all the mechanical linkages - pedal to master cylinder and slave
cylinder to release lever. The pins can wear and the holes can enlongate,
and a little wear here can go a long way.

- Have you noticed the fluid level dropping in the clutch master cylinder
reservoir? (Just a double check that the leak you see is indeed the clutch
system) If so then you need a MC rebuilt. Also if you notice this check your
brake MC to be sure that it isn't the one leaking here. But you would
probably be noticing brake problems (soft pedal) if it were.

- Any fluid leaking in the passenger compartment - specifically on your
legs/feet while you drive? That would indicate a leaking master cylinder.

- Check the hose connecting to the slave cylinder. They can crack and/or
develop soft spots so they "balloon up" under pressure, thus losing effort
for moving the slave piston. If there's any doubt as to the condition here,
replace it.

- If the slave is indeed leaking, it should be rebuilt. It should be a
pretty easy job IF the cylinder is in otherwise good shape - free from rust
and pitting. If it's a bit rough, you should probably either get a pro to
rebuild it or replace it with a new one.

- Once you (or your mechanic) is satisfied that the hydraulics are up to
par, and if you still have the problem, then you're probably looking at some
kind of problem with the clutch itself which will require an engine/trans
pull to get to, diagnose, and repair.

Good luck!

Eddie
1971 Midget