Re: Engine rebuild??

To: SDOliner@aol.com, WEricars@aol.com
Subject: Re: Engine rebuild??
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 15:11:36 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/13/2001 10:22:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
SDOliner@aol.com writes:

> My Haynes manual (page 45 if you have one) states that to check crankshaft
> end float all you need are a screwdriver (to pry the crankshaft) and feeler
> gauges.

A better and more accurate way is to get a dial indicator with a magnetic
base--not too expensive from Harbor Freight.  It will come in handy for
several jobs, including dialing in the cam when you replace it.  One book
that I find excellent and which has a great step by step on rebuilding the
Spridget engine as well as using a dial indicator, is the Chilton's Repari &
Tune-Up Guide, MG 1961 to 1980.  They are not too expensive--I found mine at
a used book store for $5, but they may still be available.  The Part # is
6780.

--David C.