Re: Engine rebuild??

To: "Larry B. Macy" <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>, David Ramsey <dwramsey@worldnet.att.net>, David Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Subject: Re: Engine rebuild??
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:55:23 -0700
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
David -

I have had poor luck using Helicoils on head fasteners.  They are very good
in other applications, though.  I prefer threaded inserts such as Keenserts
(other brands are acceptable).  The hole is drilled oversized, and tapped
for the insert outer thread,  It's screwed in (some brands recommend
loc-tite) then the locking feature activated.  They have worked
successfully on head studs for air-cooled motors running pretty high
compression ratios (high temps and lots of pressure).

Clay L.
'67 Sprite