Re: NON LBC - Sweet Dreams

To: boxweed@thebest.net
Subject: Re: NON LBC - Sweet Dreams
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:56:36 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/31/2001 11:02:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
boxweed@thebest.net writes:

> "?......I agree that Buddy Holly was prolific, but
> Richie Valens was a two-hit wonder, and the Big Bopper was only a one-hit
> wonder......hardly able to be classified as icons of music!!

Ya gotta know your R&R history to know what that means, Bob.  Holly was, and
became, an icon--responsible to a large extent, for the "British sound"--the
Beatles, Rolling Stones, and lord knows how many others.  And his lyrics were
and still are wonderful, rising far above the likes of "Be Bop-a-lula", "Who
put the Bomp", and "Ya Ain't Nuthin' But a Hound Dog."  The other deaths were
tragic that they happened to youngsters who were really in the prime of their
short careers.  Elvis was in the Army and was gone. After the crash, the
music turned to the likes of Fabian, Dion, and the rest of the uninteresting
carbon-copy teeny-boppers UNTIL the Beatles hit the scene.

It WAS "the day the music died."

--David C.