Re: Miatas and other new ragtops

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miatas and other new ragtops
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:57:57 -0700
> With the Honda S2000, we are again seeing the arrogance Honda showed back
in
> the early 80's when their cars were without rival. I still recall in 1981
my
> parents had to wait six months to take delivery of an Accord. Read that
> sentence again and think how insane that is. Don't worry, I hear the same
> thing is happening with the Odyssey minivan. I am sure the S2000 is a
great
> car, as I have read, but the bulk of the power is at the top of the revs,
so
> to get the most from the car, you really need to be on the limit. I've
seen
> S2000's around town, and to be honest, they are really nothing special to
> look at, and the dash display is a joke.

>From time to time it gets out that I sell Honda's for a living.  It is never
right or fair to lie to someone about price or terms.  And I don't want to
start a fire thread about gouging.  What I do want to point out, is just
days ago we were rambling on about there being no quality cars built.  By
quality I mean cars built to last, and not built to a budget.  Honda is
building Odysseys and S2000 as fast as they can.  To build them faster would
lessen the quality.  The waiting lists and market correct pricing is a
direct result of Honda hitting the automotive bullseye.  The Odyssey has
been a waiting list only, sticker price plus car for FOUR model years.
There isn't one single car, or probably any product that can boast that.
Not because we are hiding a bunch of them in a warehouse to limit supply,
but because they can't build enough to keep up with demand.  If you want an
Odyssey, you are going to have to pay for it.  If you want something less,
or don't like it, don't buy it.  I've never held a gun to anyone's head to
make them buy an Odyssey, or an S2000 for that matter.  We also sell Fords,
and Chevrolets, and if you want to negotiate, if you want cheap, we have at
least 20 Windstars at any time for a few hundred over invoice, and you get
rebates, and special finance rates.  If you want an Odyssey, I'll tell you
when it is expected, what color it will be, and whether or not you get first
right of refusal, or a back up offer.  It isn't arrogance, it's supply and
demand, it's capitalism, it's freedom, it's democracy.

The S2000 driving experience is like a Miata that doesn't run out of breath
at 6500 RPM.  The extra $10g's gets you an extra 3K on the tach,   and will
come back to you at resale time.  Can't defend the dash display, I wish it
had traditional gages too.
David Riker
74 Midget
63 Falcon