Knock, Knock

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Knock, Knock
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:05:32 -0700
Hello All,

My 1967 1275 has developed a knock. The knock starts in around 2000 rpms
and
diminishes or completely goes away at around 3000 rpms.

The knock occurs whether the car is under load or not - maybe a little
less when under load. As the engine heats up the knock does seem to
increase.

Otherwise the engine runs great with plenty of power; 70 lbs. of oil
pressure at speed, 40 at idle (idle pressure lower when hot), good even
compression across all cylinders, does not smoke (It use to put out a
righteous smoke screen when cold before I fixed the "PCV" valve).

Using an automotive stethoscope I have not been able to clearly locate
the origin of the knock. I thought it might be coming from the water
pump, but last night I disconnected the fan belt and the knock was still
there.

This winter I was planning to rebuild the steering and suspension and
pull the engine and do transmission conversion next year. But now its
looks like I need to pull the engine right away.

So what do you think?

Rod bearing?
Main bearings?
Piston slap?