Re: Fw: HID Xenon lights ??? vs halogens

To: rrivenbark@cfl.rr.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: HID Xenon lights ??? vs halogens
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 11:28:12 EST
In a message dated 11/2/01 12:14:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rrivenbark@cfl.rr.com writes:

> just to clarify things.....what Frank bought were actually not HID lights
> (correct me if I'm wrong Frank).  HID lighting requires ballasts to
> increase
> the voltage and an aftermarket HID kit runs anywhere from about $600 to
> $1000 USD.  I think what Frank is refering to is the "Ultra-White" light
> bulbs that alot of the rice rocket boys are putting in their cars for the
> looks.  These are not actually brighter only whiter.  A true HID system is
> whiter but it is also brighter and as Paul stated emit a different beam
> pattern.

I was gonna say the same thing.  The rally community has investigated all the
options for lights, and the cheep HID imitations are pretty much worthless.
Stick with halogen replacements, but don't get wattage higher than your wires
can handle without installing a headlamp relay.  Higher wattage halogens will
be brighter.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget