RE: Handling, TR vs. Spridgets

To: "'Glenn Cummins'" <gcummins@wlox.com>
Subject: RE: Handling, TR vs. Spridgets
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:49:01 -0600
Cc: "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Glenn,

My '63 Kharman Ghia was a lot of fun, first car I had and a great car to
learn on.  Due to a military father, I went to high school in North Dakota,
and that Ghia on studded snow tires was absolutely unbeatable in the early
morning ice races on what we called a parking lot!!  It only placed last on
that list because there are a lot of heavy hitters in the handling
department on that list.  I've driven a ton of sports cars over the years
and only bought a few, and handling was always a major priority for me.  The
Karman Ghia is a good handling little car, but it can't compare to a Porsche
356, or an MGB, much less a Spridget.  The Ghia placed last on my fun list
because it was way underpowered, an advertised 42hp, but you had to peddle
pretty hard to get over 70mph on level ground.  I'd like to have another
Karman Ghia someday, but if I do, I'll drop a slightly pumped up Porsche 912
engine into it, and with 120hp, it should be just the ticket.....but even
then, I think the Spridget will still win the fun category.

BTW, I recalled the message when I realized the triumph folks were on the
address list, I certainly don't want to insult anybody, and I'm sure they
love their cars as much as we do.

Coastie Bob
'74 MG Midget
'90 944S2