Re: Garage planning (long)

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: Garage planning (long)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:05:36 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Hi Allen,

Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:

> After helping Frank C. raise his garage, I can't help thinking about the work
> I have to do in my garage.  All of this will be in the spring, but I can't
> help the poor souls in Cuba, so let's talk about a great LBC garage!

Good idea!

> I think I need to start in the garage itself, and work on the shop area after
> I get a bit more organized.  I can't find anything right now, since I just
> moved in on Thanksgiving weekend.  This is a big two car garage (with room
> for at least 6 Midgets, I figure).  Its partly insulated, so I will first
> finish the insulation, then do the wiring, and finish the walls with some
> kinda plywood or particle board screwed up in place.

Do the wiring before the insulation, and don't use plywood or particle board.
That stuff burns faster than a Zippo!  Use drywall.  Pure and simple.

> I am thinking about a workbench along the entire back wall in the garage (20'
> long, or so).  There will be another two benches in the shop area, after I
> replace the floor, but that will take longer.  How wide do you prefer your
> workbench?  24" is convenient, but is it too narrow?  If I go 30", I have a
> lot of waste from 4X8 foot sheets of wood.  I am thinking about ply or
> particle board, with a sheet of Masonite on top and a nice edge on front.

You are never too thin, too rich, have too much RAM, or have too much workbench
space!  Need some with steel tops, and high enough so you can work standing up
or
with a tall stool.

> After I get the walls up and the bench in, I can organize my two metal
> shelves for the big tools, and the 2X8 foot bench that was left in the garage
> when I moved in. (An all metal, stone top bench!)  After that, I will be in
> much better shape to tackle the shop.

Hooray for you!  Lots of folks have only a driveway for their cars, you will
have
a luxury place!

Best, Paul A