Fuel Pump Question?

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fuel Pump Question?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:39:16 -0500
Am I barking up the wrong tree?  Should I be looking elsewhere?  The wisdom
of the group is needed.

1976 Midget 1500, mechanical fuel pump, Weber downdraft.  Screen has been
removed from inside fuel tank, in line filters installed on inlet and outlet
of fuel pump.
Symptoms:  Driving along and motor starts to die, just like it is running
out of gas.  After a couple seconds it picks up again, then will stall, then
picks up, then maybe runs fine for awhile, then it happens again. Filters
are clean.  I am thinking maybe one of the valves in the pump is sticking.

Do these symptoms sound as if that is possible?
If not, what else could give these symptoms?

Next, If replacing the fuel pump, what are the opinions of: 1) Installing an
electric or 2) Install a new mechanical?

Finally last,  Local parts house has a universal fuel pump (electric) to
replace the installed with. I am sure this is not the top of the line,
bestest (sp) pump available.  Probably made somewhere east of here :),  The
parts store comment was "Oh ya, this is a universal pump, use it anywhere,
and its only $24."  Anybody had any experience, luck, etc. with these
"universal" pumps.

TIA
Brent